Celebrate #nationalsandwichday with a delicious #sunsmart sandwich, of course! This sandwich has all the melted, cheesy flavor of grilled cheese - with added benefits. Whole-wheat bread provides filling fiber, avocado adds healthy monounsaturated fats and a punch of antioxidants, and sun-dried tomatoes bring a dose of the powerful antioxidant lycopene. Extra-virgin olive oil replaces butter and incorporates heart-healthy fats into this delish sandwich.
This grilled cheese is a Sol La La #SolFood fave! Give it a try.
Sun-dried Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat. Brush 1/2 teaspoon olive oil on one side of a bread slice and place in the pan oil side down.
- Top with cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and remaining slice of bread.
- Lightly brush top slice of bread with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bread turns golden brown and cheese begins to melt.
- Flip, and cook on the other side until bread is browned and cheese is completely melted.
- Protein24 g
- Carbs40 g
- Fiber12 g
- Sugars8 g
- Sodium652 mg
- Fat40 g
- Saturated14 g